sarproz-group

Empty KML file

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      janbu
      Participant

Hi,
        Is there any size limitation on the exported kmz file for time series? The file I have created is ~ 1.3GB and when I try to open it, I get the message ” No results – empty KML file”. Note that I have tried to open a few single kmz tiles (within the structure of the kmz) and they seem to work. No error was returned in SARPROZ during the generation of the KMZ.
        Thank you

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        periz
        Keymaster

Hi Jianbu,
          the file Sarproz creates is a KMZ, which is basically a zip file. If you can open it and if you can read files inside it’s a good start, it means the problem is not the size (I am not aware of file size limitations by the way).
          then, you will find inside a kml file and a folder. you can extract the kml file and check if you can open it (how big is it?). You can also visualize it as a text file and see if you can read it. it should contain dots with geographic coordinates and links to files that are contained in the just mentioned folder. If you can see all these infos, I’d say the problem is not in the kmz file…
          anyhow, a way to circumvent the problem is to export your time series in a csv file and load them in a GIS environment… are you aware that years ago a plugin was developed for QGIS to load the sarproz time series?
          best

janbu
          Participant

Thank you for the prompt answer. Yes, I was able to open the selected subsets kml individually. I have also followed your suggestion and read the kml as text. Based on the attached image, could you confirm is the links to the files are missing? I can of course provide more info or the file itself if needs to be checked. Would be interesting to know if other users had similar issues or have been successful with kmz over 1GB.

Yes, I did use the csv but the KML is very useful for clients and users that do not use GIS software.
            I saw the QGIS plugin a few years ago but I have never tested it. I think it’s time to try it out 🙂

Thanks

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            periz
            Keymaster

the file you are showing is not the root one
              to make it clearer:
              the KMZ file is a zipped file that contains:
              * a KML file (let’s call it the root one)
              * a folder
              In the folder you can find many more kml files, numbered at different levels
              The root kml file contains links to files in the folder, which are linked to other files in the folder in a pyramidal way (from upper to lower levels).
              If you move files from that structure (inside or outside the folder), you break the links and nothing works
              You could have problems also if you make a “save as” from within googleearth (it might break the links). Problems can arise also if you switch from one operating system to an other (when you pass from slashes to backslashes or the other way around).
              Hope this helps

janbu
              Participant

Thanks. I did a few tests creating kmz of different sizes (by filtering the n. of points) and wanted to circle back the results here, as it may help others with the same issue. I found that files <1GB are working fine, while files over 1GB keep returning the above-mentioned error.
                Regards

periz
                Keymaster

Thank you for this info,
                  a few more details that can help:
                  1. are you using windows? this problem could be system-specific
                  2. do you see anything different between data/files > 1GB and data/files < 1GB? this can help understanding whether it's a problem related to big kmz files generation (affecting Sarproz at some points) or to big kmz file reading (affecting google earth). We are aware of googleearth limitations to load images exceeding a given size, we were not aware of the problem you are reporting here. If this is confirmed, it's good to know... thanks!!

janbu
                  Participant

Hi,
                    I am using windows. I’ve scanned through the files and haven’t noticed any obvious difference between the >1GB and <1GB.
                    I agree that is good to know if this is confirmed by others and hopefully there will be ways to go around it. Maybe a functionality from the Time Series Module to split the area in tiles (separate archives, maybe with a polygon defined by the user)?
                    Best

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.